Thursday, May 19, 2011

the cancer

I hate cancer. I hate that it ruins lives and causes so much pain. I'm pretty sure I'll get it in some form or another eventually, I just think that it will probably be when I'm an old lady. The only time I knew someone my age with cancer was when my best friend Blake had leukemia ... we were 5.
Well, my great friend Jillyn has the cancer. It's a bad one too - colon. She's had some stomach problems the last little while, went in and got checked and had surgery last week. You can read about it on her blog, here. Well, she found out a couple of days ago that she has stage 3 colon cancer and will be starting chemotherapy in 3-4 weeks.
My thoughts immediately went to one of my favorite scriptures ...

Doctrine and Covenants 122:7
And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

I realize that this is probably the last thing she wants to hear, but I think it's a good reminder that even during the crappiest times, God still has us in mind. Jillyn is one of the strongest people I know, and most funny. She always has the cutest hair (and it's red!) and her little dogs are some of Brok's favorite play dates (even though Jersey is scared to death of him). She's in a really sucky situation, but handling it like a champ.


Please keep her in your prayers. Thanks.

2 comments:

julieb said...

no way!
sooo sad

Brandon & Jillyn Larsen said...

mindi, i just love you♥
were gonna kick this cancers boot-tay!!!