Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I love being an Irish wife.

Not much has been going on lately ... Tuffy was officially adopted and moved to New Mexico - his new parents send us email updates and he's loving his new home ...



We celebrated the end of phase 2 of our diet tonight by having a real dinner. I made some yummy creamy chicken and rice soup with Irish Soda bread (A - because we're Irish, and B - St Patty's day is practically upon us). It's a pretty big deal because it's my first Irish Soda Bread as an Irish wife. And it was SO good.

Brok and I enjoyed a wonderful spring hike today, we mostly just can't wait for Hobblecreek Canyon to open up again. He spent most of today basking in the sunlight on the porch.

And on our downtime, we've been watching a lot of 30 Rock reruns on Netflix. If you've never watched 30 Rock, I recommend starting at the beginning, immediately. Here is a wonderful clip of random Jack insulting Liz moments:

30 Rock

And here is Grandma Kane's recipe for Irish Soda Bread - it's really easy and really really good.

Irish Soda Bread

2 C flour (I used half whole wheat)
2 tbls sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbls softened butter
1 C buttermilk
1 tbls melted butter

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in softened butter to fine crumbs. Add buttermilk - only until moistened. Turn out, knead until smooth (about 1 minute). Roll it up, pat it (flatten in pan 1 1/2 " thick in a round ball) and mark it with a cross (press with floured knife). Baked on greased cookie sheet or other shallow pan. Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and dust with flour.

375* 30-40 min

2 comments:

bladenfamily said...

I think it's cool that you're (Lucas is) Irish too. Way to go on eating bread. I bet he was so excited.

Bryndee Slade said...

yumm...I may have to try this with my corned beef and cabbage tonight.